Update on Tevo Tarantula!

7. April 2018 16:27 by Cameron in 3D Printing  //  Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,   //   Comments

It's been a little over a month since my last update on my Tevo Tarantula. All of the previous planned upgrades are now installed and I am fine tuning to get high quality prints.

My dual extruder and large bed upgrade kits arrived the last week of March and I got both configured in Marlin and reflashed the firmware. The large bed upgrade was easy enough once I moved the Y-endstop to the back of the aluminum extrusion and adjusted the X-gantry position. Once I had everything heated up to test my second extruder, I noticed that my second extruder driver wasn't tuned correctly and the motor was clicking and didn't extrude. I adjusted the voltage on the E1 driver (stupidly without a multimeter) and eventually I turned the potentiometer too much and it ultimately broke. Since I had the stock MKS 1.4 base board, the stepper drivers were integrated, and I couldn't replace them. Because of this, I had to order a replacement board if I wanted to use the second extruder.

I wanted to avoid issues with stepper drivers in the future and I ordered an MKS Gen L board which has replaceable drivers. I also ordered two sets of DRV8825 drivers (5 pack) so I could be sure to have backup drivers in case I needed them. As it would turn out, I did need them! I didn't realize that the drivers were cranked up to 1.6v when I powered on the printer. I burned through 3 of the extra 5 drivers before realizing I needed to configure the jumpers for each driver and adjust the voltage down to 0.75v (this time with a multimeter).

These DRV8825 drivers run much quieter than the stock A4988 drivers and before I replaced the drivers, I had installed stepper motor dampers on the X and Y axis. Now printing is extremely quiet! As a future upgrade, I am going to replace all of the stepper drivers with TMC2208s which should make the printer virtually silent aside from the fans. Maybe I can replace the fans at a later point to reduce noise. The great thing is that I can now run prints at all hours of the night and day with minimal noise.

I decided I would go for the dual-Y rail upgrade to provide more stability for the build plate and reduce ghosting in my prints. I still need to print all the necessary components for this upgrade, but it will be a huge improvement once implemented. After I install the dual-Y rail upgrade, I'm hoping this will be the last upgrade I need to make on this printer for a while. Of course, I will always be tuning little bits along the way to improve quality. Originally, I got into 3d printing to enable me to print enclosures for electronics projects for Raspberry Pi and Arduino. However, this has evolved way past that and I'm thoroughly enjoying the process of building/tuning the printer and creating neat prints. Many friends and family members have asked me to 3d print various objects for them as gifts or toys. I think that is really cool and I'm happy to do that for them. I've also helped troubleshoot issues on friends' DIY 3d printers with the knowledge that I've gained from working on my printer.

One of my latest prints before my last rebuild was of the Millennium Falcon (named Fillennium Malcon on Thingiverse). I am pretty happy with how it turned out and it now sits on my desk at work. I printed the model at 60% scale with Cura. It took roughly 4.5 hours to finish printing. I had one failed attempt trying to print at 40% scale and about 70% into the print, the part fell over onto the build plate. This was due to my not printing a proper raft. On my second run, I made sure to print a large raft to avoid the same thing from happening.

I will soon be looking into PVA as support material for more complex models with dissolvable supports. I just need to see about how to properly store PVA since it is very sensitive to humidity. Perhaps I can invest in a single spool enclosure for the PVA. Cura's support options for PVA are somewhat limited meaning that it can only designate supports to one extruder. This will result in using a lot of PVA to support larger objects. Simplify3D and Slic3r Prusa Edition have an option to print PVA on only the areas that touch the model and your primary material for the rest of the supports. I am still deciding whether I want to buy Simplify3D when Cura suits 95% of my needs for everyday printing. At the price tag of $150, it better have pretty compelling features for me to make the switch from Cura. If I see myself burning through my supply of PVA quickly, Simplify3D would pay for itself in the long run. Rolls of PVA run for $35-50 which would be less expensive over a long period of time with Simplify3D.

Month List

Tag cloud